Threatened Squares

The culmination of 24 years of pen and paper design. A balanced classless system designed from the ground up.

Aspect has an easy to learn combat system that uses the same basic mechanics for physical, mental, and social combat - allowing you to play as a diplomat, sage, warrior, or anything you can dream of, and still contribute to the adventure in exciting ways.

Moderator: Heather Gunn

Threatened Squares

Postby noel.set@gmail.com » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:29 am

Does wielding a reach weapon effect one's threatened squares? i.e. If I'm wielding a whip as my primary weapon, can I only make reaction attacks against adjacent enemies, and then at a -8 for being inside optimal range?
noel.set@gmail.com

Re: Threatened Squares

Postby Heather Gunn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:42 pm

That is correct, unless stated otherwise you only threaten squares adjacent to you, even if you have a reach weapon.

However, there is stance in the Pole Weapon style called Standing Crane that can make your full reach threatening instead, as long as you are using a staff or spear weapon (such as the longspear, glaive, or bardiche).

That said, I might consider other methods of modifying your threatening area, but threatening area not adjacent to you is quite powerful, so I have been very careful with it.
Heather Gunn

Postby noel.set@gmail.com » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that perhaps the -4 per square was to compensate for the power of threatening reach, but I suppose it would still be pretty powerful.
noel.set@gmail.com

Postby Heather Gunn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Just as illustration:

A reach of 2 would then threaten a 5x5 area and a reach of 3 a 7x7 area. That's really huge. Even just threatening the outer rim of your reach is very powerful against other melee combatants, with a reach of 3 not only doubling your total coverage, but putting those who are affected at a serious range disadvantage.
Heather Gunn

Return to Αspect