Awesome Powerset Combinations

The culmination of 24 years of pen and paper design. A balanced classless system designed from the ground up.

Aspect has an easy to learn combat system that uses the same basic mechanics for physical, mental, and social combat - allowing you to play as a diplomat, sage, warrior, or anything you can dream of, and still contribute to the adventure in exciting ways.

Moderator: Heather Gunn

Awesome Powerset Combinations

Postby Heather Gunn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:08 am

Aspect lets you combine powers from different sources in unexpected ways.

What powerset combinations in Aspect do you find intriguing or just awesome?

For me? I just love the Martial Unarmed Style combined with the Element of Fire. Excellent ranged damage plus close and personal control makes me smile.
Heather Gunn

Re: Awesome Powerset Combinations

Postby Palimbar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:14 pm

I was a big fan of Pole Arm and Stone... Quinlan Kor seemed to work pretty good with it. Mind you I think Palimbar's combination of powersets were awesome! They seemed to run together so smoothly. Divine Weapon, Stalwart, Divine Healing, Tactics... I was quite happy with how he turned out.
Palimbar

Postby Heather Gunn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:10 am

Palimbar has definitely been a favorite in games I've run. That mass AoE heal he has is a lifesaver, especially since it almost always heals wounds. Adding in the minor action attack certainly makes him feel more useful, though it rarely hits much.
Heather Gunn

Postby 7thcross » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 pm

I love most of the pregens, they all seem really sweet in their own way.

One thing I noticed though, was a distinct lack of powers that targeted mental or social defenses (besides the basic attack ones). Are there any of those in the book? I like the idea of a duelist character who uses both physical and mental attacks to wear down his foe. Basically convincing them that they aren't good enough to fight against the duelist, but that would require some sort of mental attack power that has a melee or adjacent range and nothing like that is shown on any of the characters. Just wondering if this is a plausible build or not...
7thcross

Postby Heather Gunn » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:04 pm

There are a few different mental and social attack power sets, as well as a few that attack multiple aspects at once. The supernatural power set Venom Pact allows a character to both physically and mentally damage foes at the same time.

I have actually been considering a duelist powerset as well (inspired by Inigo Montoya and the Three Musketeers), but thus far it can be easily approximated by combining powersets, or simply learning and using Rattling Stance or Disheartening Posture (which let you do automatic social damage under certain conditions).

I do feel like there is more to be explored with the multiple aspects of combat, and I am definitely interested in feedback regarding how you can make the character you want in Aspect.
Heather Gunn

Postby Cal » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 am

At one time we looked at a generalization of "flatfooted" where a successful hit on one aspect gave a +2 bonus to a attack on a different aspect the same turn. Example: A successful sneak (vs Perception, a mental skill) would give a bonus for a physical attack. The same rule would allow a verbal jab in the middle of a duel to unbalance an opponent. Whatever happened to that?
Cal

Postby Palimbar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:58 am

I am currently toying with combining 3 powersets, Pole Weapon, Swift, and Conjuration... using a staff since it is a light weapon...
Palimbar

Postby Palimbar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:50 am

I just realized something....

On the weapon chart a glaive is listed as a "staff" so here is the big question: Why not just use a glaive as an arcane impliment, as a staff? Then you could cast rituals with it, use it for talents and powers that require impliments on top of dishing out beatdown! :lol: Plus, since it is available as part of the monk weapon selection, it would only cost you 2 Character points. I think I will make a glaive wielding archmage..... :twisted:
Palimbar

Postby Palimbar » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 am

@Heather...

I am already working on one so I'm going to take your suggestions and post him here.... stay tuned!
Last edited by calin on Wed May 14, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name misspelled
Palimbar

Postby ReddbullJesus » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:49 am

I've only played with it a little bit, but Healing/Parasite was interesting...
ReddbullJesus

Return to Αspect