Aspect Core Rulebook 2012!

The culmination of 24 years of pen and paper design. A balanced classless system designed from the ground up.

Aspect has an easy to learn combat system that uses the same basic mechanics for physical, mental, and social combat - allowing you to play as a diplomat, sage, warrior, or anything you can dream of, and still contribute to the adventure in exciting ways.

Moderator: Heather Gunn

Aspect Core Rulebook 2012!

Postby Heather Gunn » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:43 am

The new edition is here! We'll be at DundraCon in San Ramon, California this weekend showing it off. Remember to take advantage of our $10 off if you bought the previous edition.

Here's what you will find in the new edition:

• There is now one single scratches pool, and one health (wounds) pool for each aspect. This means that a diverse group of characters is much more effective than it was before.
  • Lots of additional monsters, powers, skill uses, talents, weapons, implements, and rituals.
  • Rebalanced and expanded the weapons, implements, and armor charts
  • Massive balance pass to all talents and skill uses. Check out the Suggestion rules!
  • Magical artifacts are far less expensive now.
  • You can now build new races from scratch! (Making New Races, page 234)
  • Races now are built with traits. The gentle races have been rebalanced as a result.
  • Rituals are now grouped by skill, not implement, each group is much larger as a result.
  • Most attack element keywords can now be used to make universal attacks.
  • Mental Assault and Social Pressure no longer have the Simple keyword.
  • Basic Grapple immobilizes your target instead of weakening them.
  • Self healing is no longer Endurance based, now all healing is Social based. Some ally healing powers will still heal Social dice + Endurance.
  • Bonus types have been unified a bit more in order to minimize some of the crazy stacking possible.
  • Wit is now Savvy, Willpower is now Discipline. Stun is now called stagger. Standard actions are now major actions.
  • Conjuration and Temporal schools are now linked to Awareness and Savvy
Heather Gunn

Re: Aspect Core Rulebook 2012!

Postby Heather Gunn » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:47 am

And with that, we have a new character sheet for you:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heather Gunn

Postby RobertSlaughter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:38 pm

So, its still in 'open beta', and not the final version? No problem either way -- I'm considering picking this up later this year.
RobertSlaughter

Postby The War Bunny » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:57 am

Just put in my order; looking forward to getting my greedy little mitts on it. I like the change in cover art.

I'm still having some trouble drumming up interest, you know how it is with gamers sometimes, but I'm not giving up.

Rick, Lord War Bunny
The War Bunny

Postby Hybban » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm

I just put an order on Lulu of the book and the pdf. The pdf is awesome, better for me to prepare games and some friends have asked to run a game for them!!! I just can't wait :)
Hybban

Postby RobertSlaughter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Just put in my order for the hard-copy via the Stone Tablet website, looking forward to seeing it.
RobertSlaughter

Postby RobertSlaughter » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:00 pm

It's 2013. What's next?
RobertSlaughter

Postby Kenlow » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:17 pm

STUFF! Lots and lots of STUFF!!! :mrgreen:
Kenlow

Postby Heather Gunn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:42 am

I must say that this last year has been rather complicated for me personally, so unfortunately I haven't been able to put as much effort towards Aspect as I have in the last several years.

However, I have been adding content to the core book (you can grab some of that in this thread: http://www.stonetabletgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182 ). We also have some very nifty and unique content we are working on for adventuring as well. Hint: it involves airships.

We have been playing pretty extensively, but the game mechanics seem fairly solid, so there haven't been significant rule changes. The only two I can think of offhand are:

You can move 1 square as a minor action (you have no idea how much more dynamic this makes combat)
A new Universal power:

Basic Shove
Simple Attack Power
A very simple attack aimed at knocking away a foe.
At-Will - Universal — Weapon, Simple
Major Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity or Stamina vs. Strength
Hit: Power damage and the target is pushed Endurance squares.

I am working on an updated book that has an additional 30 pages including the new monsters, a few new powers and talents, a few new gentle races (more faetouched, deep dwarves, shadow elves), and other nice things (like an improvement to the introductory chapter), and the new book uses my new name for all my credits.
Heather Gunn

Postby RobertSlaughter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 am

unfortunately I haven't been able to put as much effort towards Aspect as I have in the last several years.

My worry was that the push to get Aspect developed was over, due to either being burned-out or due to the lack of feedback from folks like me (outside playtesters).

However, I have been adding content to the core book (you can grab some of that in this thread: http://www.stonetabletgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182 ). We also have some very nifty and unique content we are working on for adventuring as well. Hint: it involves airships.

As long as it's not steampunk. Magitech fantasy is OK (where the development of magic parallels post-medieval technology development).

We have been playing pretty extensively, but the game mechanics seem fairly solid, so there haven't been significant rule changes.

Maybe we need a separate thread, but what do you need us externals to specifically try out in our playtests? What questions should we answer in our feedback to you?

The only two I can think of offhand are:

You can move 1 square as a minor action (you have no idea how much more dynamic this makes combat)

That seems so 'obvious', but I will try and include that in the future. Great addition.

A new Universal power:

Basic Shove
Simple Attack Power
A very simple attack aimed at knocking away a foe.
At-Will - Universal — Weapon, Simple
Major Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity or Stamina vs. Strength
Hit: Power damage and the target is pushed Endurance squares.

Cool, this looks useful too.

I am working on an updated book that has an additional 30 pages including the new monsters, a few new powers and talents, a few new gentle races (more faetouched, deep dwarves, shadow elves), and other nice things (like an improvement to the introductory chapter), and the new book uses my new name for all my credits.

Keep us posted. I may spring for an updated hardcopy.

Oh, BTW, I think the character sheet should be double-sided, with more room for powers. Especially if you want to note stats for all the default and skill-based powers over and above the power-set based ones.
RobertSlaughter

Next

Return to Αspect